Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mini Reviews


Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan Goodreads
So this was a quick and cute read. It kept me captured because I just loved the concept of a dare journal. Sure, it wasn't dares I would have thought of, but there was still some great humor in it. I did expect the whole thing with the dares to take up a lot of the book, but I didn't expect them to finally meet so far into the book, or the way they did meet. Dash and Lily were both unique characters, who were both very above average level, even though my first impression of Lily was a bit towards childish. I liked how both characters had their own stories outside of the dare journal, it really added to both. I didn't expect the one mutual connection they had to be the one to lead them to meet, but I guess I should have expected it. Overall, this was a fun read, although the ending was really simple, I didn't feel like I got closure. I feel like it worked though, so I liked the story.

Favorite Quote:
     "The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's no getting over that." 
-Langston

Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥


Something Like Normal
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller Goodreads
Truthfully, I may have had high expectations for this one, which is probably why I found the book to be great, but not incredible. First of all, it was different from other books I read with the war thing going on with Travis, so it was nice to get an insight of his feelings and reactions post-war in his POV. He was an interesting character, and he wasn't picture perfect; he had flaws that made him all that more real. Harper was an interesting character also, and their relationship was written beautifully. I'll admit, I cried in this book, it touched subjects that readers aren't familiar with, yet after, they come to realization of the cold, harsh truth. I liked the book, and how it unraveled, even though it was really short in my opinion. I just kind of expected more.

Favorite Quote:
     “He was the person all of us should be, but most of us aren't. And if I could have taken his place to buy him a little more time in the world, I'd have done it. I'm sorry I couldn't.” 
-Travis

Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Goodreads
This one I had added since I saw the cover. I loved the concept of Hadley and Oliver's meeting and falling in love in twenty-four hours. Now, my first impression of this book was, "Cute love story." Well, it is so much more. The plot was based around the first-sight-falling-in-love thing, but inside, we learned about Hadley's troubles at the moment and Oliver's also. We definitely saw Hadley grow in her way of thinking throughout the book, which came to the resolution to her problem in the end. With Oliver, we learn about this until the end, but it is just as capturing. I really loved this book. I liked the ending and though if you think to much about it you will torture yourself wondering what ever happens next. It was a great book with a great insight into the characters achieved with a third-person POV. I loved their development and it all came together beautifully. Definitely one of my favorites of 2012.

Favorite Quote:
    “It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.” 
-Narrator

Overall Rating:♥♥♥♥♥






No comments:

Post a Comment