Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

 Goodreads
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...  
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands. 
Okay, first of all, I need to point out that I overestimated this book. I kept hearing great things about it from my friends, online reviews, teachers, everyone. I felt like this was going to be such a great book because of this, but with my high expectations, I ended up liking it, but not loving it.

 I thought the characters were great, and even though this book was short, I felt like Forman did a great job of developing them. I really liked the relationship Mia and Adam had, they were happy with each other, but they also had their arguments and difficulties, which made it realistic.

 You basically follow Mia's "spirit" as she sees what's going on around her while she's in the coma, yet we also see past memories which have to do with those present events. It took me awhile to get used to that, but eventually, I actually ended up liking it.

 Throughout the book, the events in the present are very tragic and there is suspense and sorrow. I felt like it really got to me in the last few pages, it was just amazing and breathtaking.  It will make you cry, as I heard everyone say before reading it, but again, I expected to be sobbing uncontrollably for awhile, but it wasn't that extreme. Overall a great book and a satisfying read.


Favorite Quote: 
  "Please, Mia," he implores. "Don't make me write a song."
                                                      -Adam

Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment